I feel like most of the meals that our kids love these days consist of carbs and cheese. Grilled cheese. Pasta with cheese. Cheesy pizza. (You get the idea).
I get so tired of making the same things over and over and supplementing with all sorts of veggies. I crave more “adult” meals that consist of more than 3 ingredients but can still be made in about 30 minutes to feed the hungry carby-cheese lovers. 😛
Tonight I made a different, flavourful, simple meal that the whole family LOVED. Portia (age 4) asked if it could be dinner tomorrow night too. (And it was 100% cheeseless!)
I popped onto my computer ASAP to share this magical recipe with you which I modified from a Pinterest post I saw compliments of The Comfort of Cooking blog. I hope you try out this recipe and that it is as well received as it was at Casa Blumel.
Kid Approved Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 12 leaves lettuce (iceberg, romaine, Boston or green leaf)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon pureed or minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 4 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp. chopped cashews (optional)
- Gently rinse lettuce leaves and pat dry.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook for 5 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar and honey. Cook until sauce has thickened, 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into lettuce leaves and garnish with green onions and cashews, if desired.