Before we brought our little Portia into this world, I was guilty of many google searches involving everything from heartburn to breastfeeding. Somewhere amidst those searches was: what to pack in the hospital bag.
This seems to be a very popular query as by the time you type in “what to pack i“, your question is auto-completed! You can try it just for fun… or just keep reading my post and save yourself the search 😉
I decided that I would post my own little list of deemed essentials, in case anyone is expecting and is wondering what they might want to have with them once it’s “GO TIME”.
I should note that I delivered both our girls via caesarian section (both liked to hang out in breech position), so some of the items on my list might be more valuable for longer hospital stays.
Here is what I had in MY bag for birth #2. I didn’t have all these items when Portia was born and learned a few tricks for the second go-round!
- Baby mitts (those teeny newborns flail their arms like crazy and their nails are deceivingly sharp)
- Receiving blankets (they have some in the hospital, but they are pretty rough from the 1000’s of washes)
- Baby hat (again, your nugget will get one in the hospital, but both ours were too big and not overly cute)
- A sleeper or other little outfit for your baby to go home in (the softer the better!)
- Pacifiers (if you want to try pacifying your baby from the get-go, I suggest bringing a few different kinds)
- Lip balm and moisturizer (why is it so dry in hospitals anyways?)
- Makeup bag with basics (there are lots of photos being taken and visitors coming by-ok, and I’m vain)
- Your own pyjama’s or a robe in case you stay the night and want out of the hospital gown
- Slippers (if you’re labouring a while, you might do lots of walking and you’ll want to be comfy)
- Phone & charger
- Magazines/a book, in case you are really chill or something and can relax every now and again
- Eyeglasses or contacts
- Snacks (to keep up your energy or cure any cravings)
- Your own water bottle (because hospital cups only hold so much)
- Wallet with ID and Care Card
- Bathroom essentials: toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, face wash, hair ties, headbands, shampoo, etc.
- NIPPLE CREAM (ok, I can’t stress this enough. Apply before, during and after breastfeeding! Especially in those first couple of weeks!)
- Nursing bra and nursing tank (not necessary, but can make life easier!)
- Your ‘good’ camera! (No explanation needed)
- Nursing cover (a.k.a Hooter Hider- especially while you’re getting the hang of nursing and visitors are filing through constantly)
- Your own comfy pillow (and a pillow & blanket for your partner if you think you’ll be staying the night-or in our case 3!)
- Gifts to and from an older sibling (Portia got a little present from her new baby sister and she had a little gift to give Madeleine when she met her too)
- A properly installed car seat for the exciting ride home!
This is a very exciting time and I wish you all the very best! 😉