I am not a baker. At all. I LOVE baked goods, but don’t know how to make them, which is maybe a good thing now that I think about it! 😛
Sometimes, however, I really really feel like a fresh baked treat with my afternoon tea or coffee and find my cupboards empty. In this case, I rely on EASY-t0-follow, no muss-no fuss recipes. This recipe came from a friend of mine who IS an excellent baker. I tried these muffins at her house once and both Portia (age 2 at the time) and I loved them. I was scared to ask her for the recipe because I always imagine that treats that taste so good must take much effort to make. Lucky for me, this recipe is one that even I can handle. So, for all you bakers and non-bakers alike, I hope you (and your kidlets) enjoy these chocolate chip banana muffins as much as I do.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 overripe bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (or nuts, or combination of both!)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly butter 2 muffin tins.
2) Mash 2 of the bananas with a fork in a small bowl so they still have a bit of texture.
3) With an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, whip the remaining bananas and sugar together like you mean it, for a good 3 minutes. Add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
4) While the bananas and sugar are mixing, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
5) Add the dry ingredients and mix int0 the mixer and mix just until incorporated.
6) Fold in the chocolate chips (and/or nuts) and the mashed bananas with a rubber spatula. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins to fill them about 3/4 of the way. Give them a rap on the counter to get any air bubbles out.
7) Bake until a toothpick stuck in the muffins comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before turning the muffins out. Serve warm or at room temperature.